- What is Doors of Perception?
Doors is a conference, website, knowledge network, and cultural accelerator. We bring together innovators, entrepreneurs, educators, and designers who want to imagine alternative futures - sustainable ones - and take design steps to realize them.
- Who will attend Doors of Perception 9?
Doors of Perception is for people interested in the use of emerging technologies to achieve sustainable and socially-responsible growth in emerging economies.
This bi-annual design event brings together entrepreneurs, innovators, designers.
- I'm not a designer. Why should I come to a design event?
If you ever need "to devise a course of action aimed at changing an exisiting situation into a preferred one" you're designing (A definition of design by Herb Simon, given to us by Malcom McCullough).
- Why do people come?
These are new times. People participate in Doors who need to imagine sustainable and engaging futures - and take design steps to realize them. Our shared objective is to enrich our understanding and use of the design process.
- Why should my company send people to Doors?
In order to do things differently, organisations need to see things differently. Doors is a lens which helps companies look at the world in new ways. We explore next-generation service and product concepts, and develop exploitable insights, tools, and knowledge.
- What should I tell my boss?
The industrial revolution was launched in part by knowledge about textile production brought from India to Europe. The same can happen with knowledge about daily-life services brought from India, today;
- Doors 9 is about next-generation service and product concepts;
India is a world-class incubator of new business models. The “Public Call Office” concept enabled hundreds of millions of people to gain telephone access, within a few years.
- What’s coming next?
India’s software companies are determined to move up the value chain, globally. They need help to do that.
- Who is going to help them?
Grassroots innovators in India combine bible-age lifestyles with cutting edge technology.
- How did they do that?
The quality of networking done at Doors is legendary. You'll meet industry experts and working designers willing to help you with all aspects of design.
- Tell your boss about the multiplier effect: Offer to make a presentation of your experience at Doors to your colleagues when you get home.
- Doors seems rather on the edge of what I need to do my job
We hope so. Why go all the way to India for business-as-usual?
- Money is tight. Cost is an issue right now.
Some delegates to Doors split the costs with their employer. You you pay travel, she pays the registration, for example.
- Does your company offer tuition reimbursement?
Participation in Doors might qualify as continuing education. If you are self-employed, you should deduct the costs of your participation from your taxes.
- Do you offer scholarships?
- What will I take away after the conference?
A better understanding of the design process. Scenarios for services that meet emerging needs in new ways. New connections and capabilities among innovative people and organizations
- There are hundreds of events out there. Why should I choose Doors?
We bring together different disciplines and communities that would not otherwise meet. These connections lead to all manner of new relationships and projects.
- How do I get to speak at Doors?
With difficulty. Doors of Perception is not an academic conference - therefore we usually do not call for papers. Rather, we spend a lot of time researching our theme, looking for projects, and inviting people to participate in a completely undemocratic way.
- Can I send in my name as a speaker?
By all means. If you put a name forward, it is added to our speakers long list, where it will be considered - but you will only hear from us if you are shortlisted as a speaker. Messages with the words "my client" or "our latest products" in them will be trashed automatically by a bot.
- Will you publish the proceedings?
Yes. On this website.
- How do I keep in touch?
Subscribe to our mailing list .